I’ve been skeptical of these Star Wars spin-off movies since the moment they were announced by Disney. Going backwards scares me because of how badly prequels turned out. After seeing the teaser trailer for Rogue One, the first word that comes to mind is….WOW!
- The shadow of the Death Star’s laser dish eclipsing various star destroyers and the station itself upon installation was eerie
- Ben Mendelsohn looks quite menacing in his grand admiral attire. My fingers are crossed that it ends up being Admiral Thrawn or some incarnation of the beloved Timothy Zahan creation.
- The short snippet of Donnie Yen in action was breathtaking and I can’t wait to see that scene in its entirety.
- The tradition of different variations of stormtroppers in every film continues as Shadow Troopers emerge from the old Expanded Universe!
- Why are the Emperor’s Royal Guards protecting a bacta tank? Who is that figure cloaked in black and why are they kneeling down? Vader doesn’t wear a hood so WHO COULD IT BE?!?!
- Facility Jones’ Jyn Erso, from this teaser, seems to be the great protagonist with a chip on her shoulder whose allegiance could sway either way.
- Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Donnie Yen, Ben Mendelsohn, Diego Luna and the aforementioned Jones round out what is the most talented collection of actors to ever appear in a Star Wars film.
This trailer is exactly what I wanted to see from Rouge One. It goes backwards in time while managing to not only expand this rich universe, but it emphasizes the word “War” in Star Wars.