They say that you can never go home again. Well, in a small way, I was able to last Friday when attending an Eastern Pro Wrestling (EPW) event. While the attractions on the marquee boasted Ring of Honor and TNA: Impact Wrestling stars, my reason for journeying to the Maynard Rod & Gun Club was to visit with an old mentor and friends.
EPW is owned and operated by 23 year veteran “Brutal” Bob Evans, who has recently seen a resurgence in his career. This is not only due to being a member of the ROH roster, but his “Hangs with Bob” wrestling seminars are taking on a life of their own in terms of popularity and demand.
I’ve had the privilege of not only wrestling for EPW, but to be trained by Bob as a member of the inaugural class of his wrestling school, Slamtech. A lot of trainers would have given up on a 19 year kid with little self-confidence. And while I’m sure I tried Bob’s patience, he never gave up on me.
It was nice to catch up with some of the wrestlers I’ve worked and shared a locker room with, including local favorite Jeff Deland who I wrestled in my second match. I also met some new faces and booked a couple of people for a wrestling show I’m putting on in September.
Everyone on the card worked hard and put on a fun show in a great atmosphere. As for Mr. Evans…well, I was hanging with Bob before there were hashtags and I got better in ways I can never thank him enough for.
Eastern Pro Wrestling Results – 6/10/16 * Maynard Rod and Gun – Maynard, MA
Ring Announcer: Guy Medeiros * Referees: Kevin Quinn, Tony Stevens, Craig Callier
1. Sully Banger defeated Johnny Campbell
2. Billy King defeated Chris Lerusso
3. Brickmastone & “Egomaniac” Johny Idol defeated Christian Casanova & Elia Markopolus
4. Jason Daniels defeated Nick Westgate
5. Tealer Hendricks defeated Raylin w/ Dylan Bostic
6. “The Miracle” Mike Bennett pinned The Wildman Kongo to become the inaugural EPW United States Champion.
7. TK O’Ryan defeated Andrew Palace when O’Ryan used his baseball bat behind the referee’s back
8. “Inksanity” Vinny Marseglia defeated Dylan Bostic w/ Raylin via DQ when Kongo, O’Ryan and Westgate interfered on behalf of Bostic.
“Brutal” Bob Evans, Tealer Hendricks, Mike Bennett and local favorite Jeff DeLand made the save for Marseglia.
EPW owner Bob Evans ordered a five on five match between the two groups and to sweeten the deal, he put Mike Bennett’s U.S. title on the line. If the opposing team won, Kongo becomes the new champion.
9. “Brutal” Bob Evans, Tealer Hendricks, “The Miracle” Mike Bennett, Jeff DeLand & Vinny Marseglia defeated Dylan Bostic, Raylin, The Wildman Kongo, Nick Westgate & TK O’Ryan.
Bob Evans and Mike Bennett were the sole survivors for their team when Bennett pinned O’Ryan to retain the U.S. title.
EPW will return to the Rod & Gun Club in Maynard, MA on Friday, September 23rd with another fully loaded lineup of professional wrestling action.